Once we filmed our desired scenes for our opening to a thriller film, we uploaded it onto the Macs at college and began editing the clips together in a basic rough cut edit using Final Cut Express. This was fairly easy to do as it was just a case of simply deciding as a group what particular footage we wanted and where we wanted it to go in the sequence. This was a straight forward process as we just followed our shortlist and storyboard as a guide of how we wanted the sequence to turn out like, so cutting up the clips and placing them in the right order was easy thanks to having the storyboard on hand. I believe it went well because we managed to use the best clips we filmed on the day, meaning the sequence will look better and be more effective. All members of the group worked well and efficiently together as we had an equal part in choosing the clips we wanted to include and use. However, if I were to make any improvements, it would be to film at an earlier date, so we had longer in the editing process to make sure we used the best footage we had out of the lot.
The rough cut starts off with a close up of a board we created made up of pictures of our character as if she was being stalked, which we thought would be effective as the audience would get an insight into what the film is about, and would see from the perspective of the stalker. Close ups are used in the beginning of the film to inform the audience as to what the character who is being stalked looks like. On the board is written information about her, such as where she attends college. This gives character background information to the audience so they know more about her and can identify with her more.
During the beginning scene, we used low key lighting. This element of mise-en-scene created the desired effect of mystery, as it makes the film seem more mysterious as not everything can be clearly seen, giving it a sense as if something is secretive and is being hidden, which there is, which the fact that he is stalking this character. An example of low key lighting is demonstrated below.
We used low key lighting by shining a light source (a large torch) on a gold reflector, which reflected the light onto the board which we stuck all the pictures onto and filmed. This created a dark and low lit effect which we felt looked good and fit in with the kind of atmosphere we were trying to create.
When creating the basic rough cut structure, we edited several of the clips together to create a match on action effect. This was done by placing footage of the character walking down the street towards her front door, then another clip following that of her walking through the gate entering her front garden, then another of her finally reaching the front door. This gives continuity as it makes the sequence flow smoothly and correctly, and doesn’t confuse the audience. It also shows clearly whats she’s doing and in chronological order.
In terms of sound, we applied a basic soundtrack which we had downloaded during the beginning of the sequence in which the board with the pictures of the character are shown. This makes the film seem tense and the soundtrack used is a low pitch track which makes the audience think something menacing will/or is happening (which it is, as it is shown that he has been stalking her). To improve this, we will remove the downloaded track but use it as inspiration for our own track which we shall be creating as group using garageband for the final product, as we believe this will be more effective as we can make a track for the precise effect we want to create for the audience. In the beginning of the clip, we applied some simple credits created on final cut express. We used a dark red writing and a text named ‘Urban Jungle’ which we felt created an impact and fit in with both the thriller genre and the atmosphere we wanted to set. To make this more effective, we will create better and more credits which we will place in and around the pictures in the footage at the beginning of the sequence by making them on After Effects, which we had tested out before.
Overall, we have met deadlines and worked well by compiling an effective and well structured rough cut of our opening sequence, and will improve it by adding effects such as bad TV on the CCTV looking shots, and different transitions. We will also create a better and more authentic soundtrack on garageband which we will use for the final product, and create improved credits for the final piece.